Why Detoxify the Body
We are living in the most polluted environment in the earth's known history. We are continually
inhaling and assimilating residues from petrochemicals, plastics and pesticides that occupy cell
receptor sites and block hormone utilization. Consider the following statistics:
- 1,600% increase in birth defects since 1980
- 250% increase in breast cancer since 1980
- 59% decrease in male sperm count since 1940
- 500% increase in cancer mortality since 1900
- 400% increase in heart disease since 1900
All of the above statistics are directly related to the increased exposure to petrochemicals,
toxins, heavy metals and other chemicals in the environment. While no process or modality can
guarantee the prevention of these conditions, it is logical to assume that an ongoing
detoxification program - the act of minimizing toxic accumulations in the body - will reduce the
incidence of chronic degenerative disease and improve overall quality of life.
Virtually all alternative healing approaches make liberal use of detoxification protocols.
Detoxifying the body has been a familiar modality to all ancient healing traditions, including
Ayurvedic, Chinese and Native American, for thousands of years.
In a recent article entitled The Pollution Within (National Geographic October 2006 pgs 117-
143) David Ewing Duncan explores the toxic load our bodies are exposed to just living on this
planet. Click here to view the entire article.
In order to maintain a productive life, detoxification is a necessity.